Encourage your preschool students to play the Super WHY! Storybook Creator, an online game to practice reading and writing. Through play, children will discover that they have the power to change the story. Students first pick a story that they would like to work with and then have the opportunity to change the story as they go along to make it their own. Games like this one from PBS KIDS support preschoolers’ emergent literacy skills. Check out more at the PBS KIDS Lab.
Posts Tagged ‘super why’
Are you ready to go on an around the world, ABC adventure? With the “SUPER WHY ABC Adventures: Alphabet” app, your child can do just that while playing a comprehensive collection of five interactive literacy games that help build strategies and skills to master the alphabet! With each game hosted by a different Super Reader, your child will be introduced to uppercase and lowercase letters and their names, the order of the alphabet, common letter sounds and writing letters in fun and exciting ways! The app is available on the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch through the App Store. Check out a demo of the game below:
Reading is power and Super Why helps kids learn the fundamentals of reading through interactive storybook adventures. Episodes included on this DVD include: AROUND THE WORLD ADVENTURE; NAILA AND THE MAGIC MAP; JASPER’ S COWBOY WISH. In these stories, kids learn about geography, letters, and vocabulary. Kids also investigate the alphabet, practice spelling, use words, and use the power to read to change the story. The video is titled Around the World Adventure, and it’s part of the Super Why series of PBS Kids. Summer program staff, librarians, or other family education program staff: borrow this DVD for a month by clicking here.
This summer, WGBY and PBS KIDS will celebrate reading through the following on-air theme weeks:
- Super Why! – “Family Story Week” – starting June 20
- Martha Speaks – “Martha Summer Fun Week” – starting June 27
- The Electric Company – “What’s the Story? Week” – starting July 4
- Wordgirl – “WordGirl’s Ludicrously Literate Library Week” – starting July 11
- Wild Kratts – “Wet Kratts Week” – starting July 18
- The Cat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! – “Cool Cat Week” – starting July 25
Kids can tune in, watch episodes of their favorite shows, and visit program websites for fun things to try this summer. Each week, we’ll update you with information about the latest theme week. Here’s the information for this week featuring Super Why!:
With a breakthrough interactive approach to reading education, classic fairytales with an innovative preschool twist and colorful and empowering young heroes, SUPER WHY is the only preschool property created to help kids learn the fundamentals of reading through interactive storybook adventures. This week’s episodes include:
- “Super WHY and The City Mouse and the Country Mouse” – Tuesday, June 21, 2011
- “Super WHY and The Prince and the Pauper” – Wednesday, June 22, 2011
- “Super WHY and The Cookbook” – Thursday, June 23, 2011
- “Super WHY and Tom Thumb” – Friday, June 24, 2011
Super Why airs at 9:00am and 12:00pm on WGBY. For more fun activities, visit the Super Why! website.